Knowing the cause of dry and flaky scalp is the first step towards treating the condition. When you know the exact cause, it becomes relatively easy to find the solution.
Climatic condition could be the most common factor behind your dry scalp. It also affects your overall skin.
When climate around you is so hot and dry, your scalp will lose its natural moisture and becomes dry resulting in dandruff.
Genetics and the type of skin you have also play their role in triggering the condition. If your skin is already dry, then getting the dryness of scalp becomes inevitable.
Dandruff is the resultant of flaky scalp which makes the scalp even more dry. When the glands present in the scalp become overactive and get clogged. the condition leads to dry scalp and the skin begins to peel off.
So How To Treat This Dry And Flaky Scalp?
The most common reason behind this condition is the lack of moisture. In order to treat it, you need to follow a proper hair care routine that prevents the moisture within the scalp. Here are some steps and remedies that you can follow to prevent this condition.
- Keep your scalp away from the heat as much as possible. Avoid putting hot water during bath. Minimize the use of hair dryers and styling products.
- Do not use chemical based hair care products like gels and serums. They can worsen the situation even more.
- Make use of moisturizing and anti-dandruff shampoos. They will keep your scalp well moisturized and prevent dryness.
- As hair is made of protein, eat more and more protein rich foods. Milk, eggs and whole grains are the popular protein rich foods. They are good for hair as well as scalp.
- Perform hot oil treatment at least once a week to keep your scalp well moisturized. For this, you can use coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, sesame oil, almond oil or castor oil.
- You can use any single oil or a combination of few oils in same ratio. Take some oil of your choice or a mixture of few oil and warm it a bit. Use this warm oil to massage your hair and scalp thoroughly for 10 minutes and wear a shower cap. Leave for few hours or overnight before rinsing with herbal shampoo.
- In a cup of water, add two teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and mix well. Use this mixture to rinse your hair after shampoo. It will clean your hair and remove any leftover of the shampoo.
- Mix half a cup of yogurt, one lemon juice and few drops of mustard oil. Apply this mixture onto the hair as well as scalp. It will remove dandruff very effectively.
- Soak handful of fenugreek seeds for overnight in water. In the morning, grind those soaked seeds to make a paste. Apply this paste all over your hair and leave for an hour. It will make your hair soft and dandruff free.
Try these tips and remedies and you will surely get rid of your dry and flaky scalp. The best thing is that, these tips and remedies are natural. You don’t need to buy any expensive products for this. So both thumbs up for you 🙂